Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is the leading data research platform and business intelligence tool for over 30,000 corporate, academic, government and nonprofit clients in 33 countries. WRDS provides the user with one location to access over 200 terabytes of data across multiple disciplines including Accounting, Banking, Economics, Finance, Insurance, Marketing, and Statistics.
WRDS offers flexible delivery and access options through web queries, the powerful WRDS cloud and WRDS client server using PC SAS, Matlab, Stata, R, and Python.
Our state-of-the-art infrastructure gives users the power to analyze complex information at speeds of up to 400MB per second.
Developed in 1993 to support faculty research at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, our service has since evolved to become the standard tool for a global research community.
Tour the interactive map below to view the locations of our WRDS subscribers.
WRDS Enterprise Solutions and Support
This hosted data service has become the locus for quantitative data research and is recognized by the academic and financial research community around the world as the leading business intelligence tool.
Flexible Delivery Options
- Web interface. Research one firm or several hundred firms simultaneously. All the databases have a common interface and a consistent data format through online queries.
- PC SAS Connect. The power of a Unix system in a familiar Windows environment. Use SAS on your PC to submit jobs on the WRDS cloud or download data directly to your PC and analyze using our extensive site, programs and utilities.
- WRDS Cloud. The WRDS Cloud leverages our unique infrastructure to process submitted information producing results with greater proficiency, resulting in vastly shorter processing periods for our clients. With increased computing power, additional time can be focused on research and analysis. Connect to WRDS for a terminal session, run custom programs in SAS to retrieve data.
- Matlab, Stata, R, and Python.
WRDS provides a state-of-the-art interface to a variety for databases, simplifying extraction and increasing productivity with:
- Research applications and utilities and an extensive suite of template and sample programs developed by our Doctoral-level staff.
- Support from a team of Doctoral-level specialists. Our doctoral-level research specialists are available to you on-line through WRDS Support
- E-Learning. A Library of on-demand video sessions covering a host of topics, presented by our research experts.
- Timely Updates. Our experienced IT specialists convert and install database updates, for immediate access.
- Learning Environment. WRDS enables faculty to demonstrate real-world applications of principles, using actual company data in place of hypothetical examples.
- Data Validation, Integrity and Consistency.
WRDS Subscription Fees
Access to Data Through WRDS
I. Data provided at no cost:
As part of the subscription to WRDS, the following datasets are available at no cost:
|Bank Regulatory||Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)|
|Blockholders||IRI Marketing Factbook: Point of Sale|
|CBOE Indexes||Penn World Tables|
|Direct Marketing Educational Foundation||Philadelphia Stock Exchange United Currency Options|
|Dow Jones||SEC Disclosure of Order Execution|
|Fama-French (Research) Portfolios and Factors||TRACE (academic subscribers only)|
|Federal Bank Reports|
II. Additional Data:
The WRDS subscription fee does not included access to data from the vendors listed below. Each institution is responsible for maintaining a separate license for the data.
|Bureau van Dijk||Mergent|
|Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP)||Morningstar CISDM|
|Eventus||NYSE TAQ *|
|FactSet Fundamentals and Ownership||OptionMetrics|
|GovPX Treasuries (ICAP)||S&P Capital IQ|
|Thomson Reuters||WRDS Quant Alpha|
|Markit||WRDS SEC Analytics Suite|
*Note: In addition to the data fee paid to NYSE, WRDS requires an annual TAQ Access Fee.