What is WRDS?
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is the leading, comprehensive, internet-based data research service used by academic, government, non-profit institutions, and corporate firms. WRDS manages the data and delivers it in a seamless, unified, and consistent form. WRDS provides the user with one location to access over 200 terabytes of data across multiple disciplines including Finance, Marketing, and Economics.
WRDS provides flexible data delivery options, including executing research and strategy development on the WRDS computing cloud. Our databases allow you the foundation to craft a sound business strategy.
WRDS Enterprise Solutions and Support
This hosted data service has become the locus for quantitative data research and is recognized by the academic and financial research community around the world as the leading business intelligence tool.
WRDS Provides seamless access to an extensive collection of databases, covering numerous financial, economic and marketing disciplines.
Flexible Delivery Options
- Web interface. Research one firm or several hundred firms simultaneously. All the databases have a common interface and a consistent data format through online queries.
- PC SAS Connect. The power of a Unix system in a familiar Windows environment. Use SAS on your PC to submit jobs on the WRDS cloud or download data directly to your PC and analyze using our extensive site, programs and utilities.
- WRDS Cloud. The WRDS Cloud leverages our unique infrastructure to process submitted information producing results with greater proficiency, resulting in vastly shorter processing periods for our clients. With increased computing power, additional time can be focused on research and analysis. Connect to WRDS for a terminal session, run custom programs in SAS to retrieve data. Other languages available on the WRDS system include C and FORTRAN.
WRDS provides a common interface to a variety for databases, simplifying extraction and increasing productivity with:
- Support from a team of Ph.D. and IT Specialists. Our Ph.D. research specialists are available to you on-line through WRDS Support.
- E-Learning. A Library of on-demand video sessions covering a host of topics, presented by our research experts.
- Timely Updates. Our experienced IT specialists convert and install database updates, for immediate access.
- Learning Environment. WRDS enables faculty to demonstrate real-world applications of principles, using actual company data in place of hypothetical examples.
- Data Validation, Integrity and Consistency.
WRDS Subscription Fees
Access to Data Through WRDS
I. Data provided at no cost:
As part of the subscription to WRDS, the following datasets are available at no cost:
Bank Regulatory Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
Blockholders Federal Bank Reports
CBOE Indexes IRI Marketing Factbook: Point of Sale
CENTRIS-Monthly Insights Reports Penn World Tables
CUSIP Master File (academic only) Philadelphia Stock Exchange United Currency Options
Direct Marketing Educational Foundation SEC Disclosure of Order Execution
Dow Jones TRACE
Fama-French (Research) Portfolios and Factors
II. Additional Data:
The WRDS subscription fee does not included access to data from the vendors listed below. Each institution is responsible for maintaining a separate license for the data.
Bureau van Dijk KLD
Capital IQ Mergent
Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP) NASTRAQ
CENTRIS NYSE Euronext
Global Insight/DRI Riskmetrics
GovPX Treasuries (ICAP) Thomson Reuters
Hedge Fund Research (HFR)